Thursday, January 1, 2015

Tissue Box Cover



Tissue Cover

This tissue box cover is my adaptation of a design by Judy Nelson which I found on Annie’s Crafts. It works up quickly and easily and can be made in a solid color or in stripes and would no doubt be pretty in a variety of colors. All of the covers in the above picture used the same pattern - the only difference is the colors I used on each row. The tissue boxes I covered were a standard 9x5x3 ½ but the pattern can easily be adjusted to fit about any size box once you have the basic pattern down.

To Print or Download this Pattern:
To print this pattern click on the “Print & PDF” button at the very end of this post. It also gives you the option of making a PDF to download. (If you do not see the button then click on the name of the post at the top and it will take you to the page for just that pattern - the button should be at the bottom of that page)

I have NO experience writing patterns so if you have questions or find something that won’t work or that I have made a mistake on please let me know so I can correct it. I appreciate your help and suggestions!

Materials:
Less than 1 skein of worsted weight yarn (I used scrap yarn I had handy so can’t give an exact amount)
Size H crochet hook

Basic Stitches:
Ch, sl st, sc, dc

Row 1: Beginning at top ch 29, sc in second chain from hook, dc in next chain, (sc in next ch, dc in next ch) across, turn. (28 stitches)

Row 2-6: Ch 1, sc in first dc, dc in next sc, (sc in next dc, dc in next sc) across, turn.

Row 7: Ch 1, sc in first dc, dc in next sc, (sc in next dc, dc in next sc) 2 times. For opening chain 16, skip next 16 stitches, (sc in next dc, dc in next sc) across remainder of row, turn. (28 stitches and chains)

Row 8: Working in stitches and chains, ch 1, sc in first dc, dc in next sc, (sc in next dc, dc in next sc) 2 times, (dc in next ch, sc in next ch,) 8 times, (sc in next dc, dc in next sc) across remainder of row, turn. (28 stitches)

Row 9-13: Ch 1, sc in first dc, dc in next sc, (sc in next dc, dc in next sc) across. At end of row do not turn.

Row 14: Working around outer edge, in end of rows and in stitches, Ch 1, sc in each end of row, 12 stitches across the short end. Working on opposite side of starting chain 3 sc in starting ch, sc in each stitch across, 3 sc in corner, sc in each end of row, 3 sc in corner, sc in each stitch. Join in first ch 1. Do not turn.

Row 15: Ch 1, working in back loops only, (sc in next stitch, dc in next stitch) around, join and turn.

**Note: At this point I worked 2 more rows of my main color around (as shown in rows 16-24 below) and then alternated colors for a stripe or added several rows of a different color for a wider stripe. The choice is up to you if you want stripes, and to your preferences.

Row 16-24: Ch 1, (sc in next stitch, dc in next stitch) around, join and turn. At the end of row 24 do not turn.

**Note: At this point you need to measure to make sure that the sides of your cover are the same height as the box you will be covering. I have found that all boxes are not the same so this is the point to add rows if you need more height or remove rows if sides will be to long.

Row 25: Ch 1, sc in each stitch around, join and fasten off.

Row 26: For Edging: With top facing away from you, join with a sl st in any front loop of round 14, sl st loosely in each stitch around, join with a sl st in first stitch, fasten off.


Flower:
Ch 4

Row 1: Ch 4, sl st in 3rd ch from hook to join. Ch 1, sc 11 in center of ring. Join with sl st in ch 1.

Row 2: Ch 8, sl st in same ch as join. Sl st to next sc, ch 8, sl st in same sc. Repeat around circle of all 12 sc. (12 petals)

You can make the flower larger or smaller by doing more or less chains for the petals.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this pattern. I searched for a pattern for a cover for a hope chest. Since I couldn't find one I liked, I used this tissue box pattern, increasing the number of stitches and rows to fit the chest. It turned out nice. I really like the texture achieved when using the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always nice to hear someone made my pattern and enjoyed it, I'm glad it turned out for you. I have always really liked the texture with this stitch also! Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete