Thursday, April 12, 2012

Lemon Monkey Bread


As I stated in my last recipe I have been making monkey bread for years and love it, the ease of making it and of course the flavor. When I saw this recipe for Lemon Monkey Bread on the Pillsbury site I just had to give it a try. I can't say that it will make my favorites list for monkey bread - I really prefer monkey bread with cinnamon! But......this does have a really good flavor and is a very nice change of pace from regular monkey bread. It's not difficult to make and because the Grands biscuits are larger makes a bigger batch. I had some leftover and reheated it in the microwave and it reheated well. I would love to hear what you think of this compared to regular monkey bread!


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel (I used one medium lemon)
  • 1 box (4 serving size) lemon pudding and pie filling (not instant)
  • 2 cans Grands Flaky Layers Butter Tastin biscuits
  • 3/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 - 3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 - 2 drops yellow food coloring

Directions:

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 12 cup bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray.

In large bowl stir together the brown sugar, lemon peel and the pudding mix until well mixed.

Separate both cans of biscuits into 16 biscuits and then cut each biscuit into quarters. (Note - here the original recipe said to add the cut biscuits to the bowl of melted butter and mix with hands until each quarter of biscuit was coated with butter. I tried that but the biscuits stuck together and I had a very hard time getting each quarter coated with the butter, SO......I melted some more butter, placed it in a small bowl and coated each quarter with butter individually before rolling it in the brown sugar and pudding mix.  It worked that way and each quarter was well coated with the butter!)
Roll each quarter of butter coated biscuit in the brown sugar and pudding mix and then place in the prepared bundt pan.

Bake for 25 - 30 minutes until golden brown and no longer doughy in the center. (Note - I had to bake mine for 45 minutes before the center was no longer doughy. Since the top was already golden brown after 30 minutes I placed a piece of foil over the top to keep it from getting to browned) Cool in pan for 10 minutes and then turn over onto a plate.

In small bowl stir powdered sugar and enough lemon juice until drizzling consistency. Mix in yellow food coloring. Drizzle over warm bread. (Note - As you can probably see from my picture I ended up with much more frosting drizzled over my bread than I should have so if I make again I will cut the powered sugar down to 1/2 cup and proceed from there)

I would love to hear your comments on what you think of this variation of monkey bread!!

No comments:

Post a Comment