Monday, April 23, 2012

Old Fashioned Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes

As I stated in my last post I grew up in a very meat and potatoes family, and generally those potatoes were either boiled or mashed. When Mom progressed to trying other types of potatoes these were one of her favorites and one of mine.




Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 1/2 cups milk
  • 2 cups (or about 1/2 pound) Velvetta cheese, cut into small cubes
  • 6 medium potatoes
  • 1 cup onions, diced
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel and thinly slice potatoes (a food processor works great for this step if you have one!) The original recipe states potatoes don't have to be precooked but I don't care for crunchy potatoes so I precook my sliced potatoes about 10 minutes and drain before assembling my baking dish.

In a sauce pan melt butter. Add flour and seasonings. Cook and stir till thick paste forms. Gradually add milk. Cook and stir until mixture begins to thicken. Add cubed cheese and cook and stir until cheese is melted.

Place potatoes in greased baking dish (I use a 7"x11"). Sprinkle diced onions over potatoes and pour sauce over all.

Bake uncovered for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. You can sprinkle shredded cheese over the top about 10 minutes before finished for an extra cheesy flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment