Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Homemade Oreo Cookies



I have seen many recipes for Homemade Oreo Cookies on the internet and most of them are very similar. This is the one I decided to try, and was very pleased with the result. These vary only slightly from the other recipes so I have no doubt that all of them are very, very good. I know that I love Oreos, who can resist these favorites we grew up with? Not me, that's for sure! And, everyone I have had sample them has thought these cookies were delicious. To me they don't taste just like Oreos but I find the difference to be one that I really like. These cookies are softer and can have as much filling as you might want to put in them. Anyway I look at it, I and my friends thought these cookies were definite winners!!!

Cookie Ingredients:
  • 1 devil's food cake mix
  • 1/2 shortening or cooking oil
  • 2 eggs
Cookie Directions:

Mix cake mix, shortening or oil and eggs until smooth. Roll dough into dime size balls. (The recipe I used stated to place them on the cookie sheet at this point. I flattened them in my hand to about 1/4 inch thickness before placing on cookie sheet.) Place on parchment lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 7 minutes. Watch closely so that cookies don't overbake if you want to have them fairly soft. Cool completely.

Vanilla Filling Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick), softened
  • 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cups marshmallow cream
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 to 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Filling Directions:

Combine butter, cream cheese, marshmallow cream, vanilla and salt with an electric mixer on medium until well blended and smooth. Add powdered sugar in small amounts and continue to mix well until the desired consistency. I used about 2 cups in my filling. You want the filling firm enough to hold it's shape. Place about 1 tablespoon of filling (or more if you like lots of filling) on bottom of a cookie and place another cookie on top, bottom down to form a sandwich. Let cookies set until filling firms up (if you can wait that long!)

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment