Friday, October 26, 2012

Crunchwrap Similar to Taco Bell


I don't often eat out at fast food restaurants but when I do I like to go to Taco Bell, and Crunchwrap Supremes are one of my favorites. So when I started seeing recipes for copycat Crunchwraps on Pinterest they definitely caught my eye. I tried one, and though it was close to Taco Bells, it wasn't quite the flavor I was looking for so I started making a few changes and this is what I came up with. Though it's close to the recipes I have seen, I did make a few changes. Mostly what I found is that it's easy to adjust it to whatever your tastes are. I like to make mine with chicken, shredded mexican blend cheese and a little salsa verde, but I'm sure it would work just as well with whatever you want in it. So, here's how I make mine.  I'd love to hear your comments on what you have tried and liked. Hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

Ingredients:
  • Shredded chicken (or ground beef, shredded beef or shredded pork)
  • Mexican blend shredded cheese
  • Salsa verde
  • Doritos
  • Sour cream
  • Lettuce, shredded
  • Tomatoes, chopped
  • Flour Tortillas
Directions:

To make one crunchwrap I take 1 chicken tender and season it with a little taco seasoning and salt and cook in microwave for about 2 minutes or until no longer pink. Shred chicken and set aside. (To make more than 1 crunchwrap just double, triple or more the ingredient amounts.)

I use one LARGE flour tortilla for the outside of the Crunchwrap. Since it is hard to get it wrapped to totally enclose the fillings (I tend to go overboard on fillings) I use a small flour tortilla (about the size of a corn tortilla) to place in the center over the fillings. If I don't have a small tortilla I just cut a circle about the size of a corn tortilla out of a large tortilla. Heat the large tortilla in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds to soften and make it easier to work with. Place 2 or 3 tablespoons of chicken in the center of the tortilla. Cover the chicken with about 3 tablespoons of shredded cheese (more or less to your taste). Place 2 or 3 teaspoons of salsa (I use salsa verde but any salsa will work) on top of cheese.  Cover the chicken, cheese and salsa with a layer of Doritos chips and place 2 or 3 teaspoons of sour cream on top of the Doritos. Toss on some shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes.

Place the small tortilla in the center over the fillings and then fold the large tortilla up around the small tortilla, working your way around until the filling is entirely enclosed. Place the bundle, seam side down, in a warm skillet over medium low heat for about 3 minutes until the bottom is a golden brown. Turn over and brown the other side for about 3 minutes.

When it is golden brown and crunchy it's ready to enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment