Monday, October 22, 2012

Homemade Country White Bread

 
Grandma's Country White Bread from Pennies and Pancakes

Can't believe it's been a month since I posted anything. Ok, the reason, I admit it, is that I got sidetracked by Pinterest. My daughter ask me one night on the phone if I had ever checked out Pinterest, and when I said no, I didn't even know what it was, she told me I really needed to look it over as there was so much neat information there. Well, here I am, a month later, finally pulling myself away from Pinterest to do a post on my site. My mind is still in a fog from all the wonderful recipes and crochet patterns I've seen and been trying. SO.....BE WARNED! If you haven't checked out Pinterest yet don't even wander over there if you have anything at all that you need to get done - PEOPLE HAVE DISAPPEARED THERE FOR WEEKS AT A TIME!!!!!!!

I have always loved yeast breads but now that my kids are grown and I live alone I just never make it anymore - guess it just seemed to much effort for one person. But then there was Pinterest, tempting me with all these new recipes I had never seen before - No Knead Bread?? Fast & Easy?? Wow, they sounded really good. First I tried the "No Knead Bread" and I loved it. It made a beautiful round loaf that could be flavored with all types of add ins. I will try to get that recipe posted in a few day because if you haven't tried it you really might want to. Talk about easy, quick and delish!!

I really wanted to try a regular loaf of white bread like I remembered growing up with but I no longer had my Mom's recipe. Then I found this recipe! Not only is it far faster and easier than any I used to make, it raised up beautifully and tastes absolutely wonderful! I will definitely be making this bread again and again!

At the Pennies and Pancakes site Andrea has a wonderful tutorial called "How to Make Homemade Bread (Step by Step) that you might want to check out. Thank you Andrea for the wonderful recipe and the great tutorial!!

To try this great bread stop by Andrea's site or continue reading for the recipe:

 Ingredients:
  • 3 cups warm water (about 110 degrees)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons yeast
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 6 - 7 cups flour (I used all-purpose white but check Andrea's site for other flours)
Directions:

In stand mixer bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and sugar. Stir enough to wet the yeast. Let this mixture sit for 10 minutes (a little longer won't hurt). Measure 1/3 cup of oil and add to the bowl, no need to stir. Add 6 cups of flour and 1 tablespoon of salt to the bowl. Mix on low setting (I used 2) with the dough hook for 5 to 8 minutes. If it's to sticky add additional flour, 1/4 to 1/2 cup at a time and incorporate it well. If you are uncertain about whether it needs more flour or not check out the step by step tutorial, with pictures, at Andrea's. If you don't have a stand mixer the above steps can be done by hand, it's just a little more labor intensive.

Heat oven about 1 minute and then turn back off. Cover the bowl of dough with a clean dishtowel and place on the upper rack in the oven. Place a bowl of very hot water on the bottom rack, close the oven and let the dough rise for about 1 hour until it has doubled in size. Remove bowl from oven and punch down dough. Knead, right in bowl, about 10 to 15 times (it doesn't really need much - I just turned mine out onto the floured countertop and kneaded about 10 times.)

Shape into 2 loaves (they don't have to be perfect - mine didn't look pretty in the pan but they baked up beautifully) and place them into 2 greased loaf pans. Cover with the clean dishtowel and leave sitting on the countertop until doubled in size - about 30 to 45 minutes.

Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown (Mine didn't look browned enough after 25 minutes so I baked them 35 minutes and they came out great!)

Remove from pan to cooling rack immediately. I brushed the tops of mine with a little butter. Cool for 10 minutes or however long you can stand to wait and then slice and ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment