Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Cheesy Taco Casserole




I saw this recipe on Averie Cooks  and decided to give it a try with a few minor changes. I'm really glad that I did. I was pleased with the flavor and with the ease of making it. The recipe suggested lining the baking dish with foil, which I did, and that made the clean up really easy also. So.....what's not to like? The recipe has a rice base and no tortillas. Taco's with no tortillas??? Well, the taco flavoring is so good I didn't even miss the tortillas! If you like tacos, have a family to feed and need something easy to throw together, you really ought to give this a try!

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups cooked rice
  • 1 jar salsa (I used a 16 ounce jar of World Table Sweet Corn Salsa I purchased at Walmart but any salsa should work)
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • 1 cup sliced black olives
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 package taco seasoning - around 2 tablespoons (or whole package for extra taco flavor)
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
  • 2 cups shredded cheese, plus 1/2 cup
Directions:

Combine all ingredients, except for 1/2 cup shredded cheese, with the rice in a large bowl and stir until well combined. Pour mixture into a foil lined 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle 1/2 cup shredded cheese on top.

Bake at 375 degrees for approx 35 minutes or until cheese on top is melted and casserole is hot throughout. If salsa was watery it could lengthen the cooking time.

Allow to rest about 10 minutes to make slicing easier.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment