Sunday, January 22, 2012

Diabetic Dog Treats

A little over a year ago I was dismayed to find out that my beloved poodle was diabetic. I am happy to report that he now receives insulin shots twice a day and is on a special diet and though he is now 9, he is active and healthy and acts like a puppy. One of the problems I originally had was that he loves treats and they became off limits once he was diagnosed. I started researching on the internet and found the following recipe for treats. It sounded good so I gave it a try, and I am so glad that I did. He loves these treats and looks forward to getting his shot so that he can then have a liver treat! I have had friends try the treats with their non-diabetic pets and they all report that their pets LOVE them! These treats are easy to make and the recipe makes a large amount of them so I put them in the freezer and always have treats available.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 lbs beef liver
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Place liver in food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Add flour and eggs to processor bowl and pulse until well blended. Pour 1/2 of mixture onto each cookie sheet and spread evenly into a thin layer, staying about 1 inch from edge of parchment paper.

Bake for 15 minutes or until center if firm. Cool and then use a pizza cutter to cut into pieces of whatever size will work for your pet. I cut mine into about 1 inch squares. Store in sealed container or storage bags in freezer until needed. These freeze really well and will last several weeks in the refrigerator. I usually place enough for a week in freezer bags and get them out as I need them.

I think your pet will love these!

No comments:

Post a Comment