Thursday, January 19, 2012

Zucchini Jam

I have always enjoyed having a large garden and then doing alot of home canning at harvest time. In recent years with my kids all off on their own I just don't use as many home canned items as in the past so my gardens have shrunk in size. I do always have to grow a few items though. One of the items I cut way back on this year was zucchini, but due to great growing weather I still had a bumper crop. If you've ever grown zucchini you know even one plant can produce more than can even be given away - you know they really don't want any more when your friends won't answer their doors when they see you coming with zucchini in your arms!

But, since I hate to see any go to waste I was forced to dig out my old recipe for zucchini jam. Don't know why I haven't made any recently as this is a great recipe and makes absolutely delicious jam. This is an orange colored jam. If you don't care for apricot or pineapple flavors this probably won't be for you but if you like either this is something you really should try!

Ingredients:
  • 6 cups zucchini, peeled and grated
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 package Sure-Jell or other brand
  • 5 cups sugar
  • 1 13oz can crushed pineapple
  • 6oz package apricot-flavored gelatin
Directions:

Boil the zucchini and water until soft. Add Sure-Jell and bring to a hard boil. Add sugar and pineapple. Boil 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add apricot gelatin. Stir well. Pack in sterilized jars and seal. I seal my jars with melted paraffin but you can also seal them by placing in a hot water bath for about 5 minutes. Directions for using a hot water bath are included in the Sure-Jell package.

You can use the Sure-Jell light by using only 3 1/2 cups of sugar.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment