Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Paula Deen's Ultimate Coffee Cake

I hope that everyone had a wonderful holiday season and that the coming year will bring joy to each and everyone of you!



As you have probably been able to tell from the recipes I have posted, I am more of a baker than a cook and the recipes I tend to try are more in the desert line. I'm sure this love of baked goods comes from my earliest days. I can remember being 11 or 12 when I first started reading recipes and wanting to try them.  My Mother was a wonderful cook and cooked for a large family on a very limited budget. I will always be grateful to her for indulging my childhood wish to experiment. If I found a recipe I wanted to try and if the ingredients were available in our kitchen she gave me free range to bake any desert I wanted to taste test. I can remember trying pop-overs, eclairs, pies, cakes, puddings and more. 50 + years later I am still experimenting and trying new recipes - unfortunately I don't have a houseful of people to be my taste testers any longer. Fortunately, I do have neighbors and friends who have been willing to step into the taste tester position for me.

This recipe is one that I found on Paula Deen's site and just had to try! This pecan sticky pull apart is absolutely wonderful - it's rich and gooey and very messy to eat but is so easy and so very good it's worth the sticky fingers! The only change I made to Paula's recipe is to add cinnamon to the brown sugar before sprinkling it over the rolls. This picture came from a site called Better Recipes and was posted by CMorrison64. I really hope you will try this pull apart as it only takes about 5 minutes to put together and the taste is the best sticky bun flavor I've found.

Ingredients:
  • 16 to 18 unbaked frozen dinner rolls (like Rhodes) - I use 18
  • 1 (3 oz) package regular butterscotch pudding mix - not instant
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1 tsp cinnamon (or more per taste)
  • 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted
Directions:

Place frozen rolls in well greased bundt pan.
Sprinkle dry pudding mix over rolls.
Mix brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the pudding mix.
Sprinkle nuts over the brown sugar and cinnamon.
Pour melted butter over all.
To prevent the dough from forming a hard crust lightly cover with a damp towel or tightly wrap with plastic wrap. Let set on counter overnight for 8 to 10 hours or while you are at work.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes. Let set for about 10 minutes and then turn over onto a plate. If rolls have risen above the bundt pan push plate down against pan before turning over.  It's best to wait the 10 minutes before turning over or your sticky caramel will all run off the rolls.
Serve by pulling apart with forks.

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment