Saturday, May 12, 2012

Cherry Crunch


My Dad, who will be 90 in June, is still, thankfully, in very good health and lives on his own. He is very alert and does some basic cooking for himself. My sister in law cooks extra and takes things to him and when I visit I take things I know he likes but doesn't cook for himself. I'm going to visit tomorrow and plan on taking meat loaf, scalloped potatoes and green beans in ranch dressing. Because I know he also loves desserts I decided to take a Cherry Crunch this time as I know he enjoys anything with cherries in it. Would love to hear from you if you try this dessert - it's another from the Hill N' Holler, Madision County Arkansas Extension Club cookbook. This cookbook if rapidly becoming one of my favorites as I keep finding recipes for things I haven't had for years. It was published in 1977 (hard to believe that was 35 years ago!). I hope we can keep some of these great old recipes alive.

Ingredients:
  • 1 can cherry pie filling
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
  • 2 cups yellow cake mix
  • 1/2 cup nuts (chopped)
Directions:

Melt butter in 8"x8"x2" pan while heating oven to 350 degrees. Coat pan with butter and pour out excess (keep to use later). Pour can of cherries in pan.

Sprinkle dry cake mix, mixed with nuts, over cherries. Pour reserved butter over dry mix.

Bake 40 minutes. Cool completely at room temperature. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment