Sunday, May 20, 2012

Homemade Flour Tortillas


I really like to make my own seasonings, condiments and to use as little prepared foods as possible. There is always so much sodium and so many chemicals in prepared foods. And yes, I know that flavor enhancers, preservatives, high fructose corn syrup and lots of things I don't even know what they are, all make foods last longer, taste better?, and look better but I really don't want them in my foods! I prefer to know what is in my food. However I never considered making my own tortillas. I figured they were probably difficult to make and very time-consuming, but guess what? According to this recipe they aren't difficult at all and I'm definitely going to give them a try. I would love to hear from you if you try this recipe and have your opinion.

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 heaping teaspoon salt
  • 5 tablespoons shortening or unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 to 1 cup water
Directions:

Pulse the flour, baking powder and salt a few times in a food processor with the dough blade. Add shortening and process until the mixture is uniformly crumbly.

With the food processor on, slowly stream in the water, just until dough forms a ball and starts traveling around the bowl. (You might not use all the water or you might need a little more.) Let the dough knead about 30 seconds. Dough should be soft, not overly sticky.

Turn out onto a flour dusted surface and divide into golf ball sized portions (about 2 ounces each). Cover with a kitchen towel and let rest for 10 minutes.

Heat large dry saute pan (cast iron skillet works good). Roll dough balls into thin rounds, dusting tops with just enough flour to keep from sticking to the rolling pin. Lay tortilla flat in heated pan and cook on each side for 10 to 20 seconds, until bubbled areas are brown. Do NOT OVERCOOK. Keep covered with a towel to keep warm and pliable.

Makes 12 8 inch tortillas. Store airtight container 1 week or freeze. 

Recipe from The Way to His Heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment