Saturday, May 12, 2012

Sky Winds Papaw Cake


In 1976 my family, husband and kids, moved to Arkansas to a farm way back on a graveled road - we loved it! We had many adjustments to make, having lived in the city in Nebraska prior to our move (bugs for one!). One of the things I kept hearing about and found growing on our farm were papaws. I, of course, had heard the saying "down in the papaw patch" but didn't have a clue what a papaw was or what in the world you did with them! Never could get the kids to eat them, and really couldn't blame them. Today I found this recipe in the Hill N' Holler cookbook put out by the Madison County Arkansas Extension Homemakers Club in 1977 - sure wish though that I had seen this recipe back then. I sure would have tried it! I hope someone will let me know if they have ever made this type of cake or if they try this recipe - papaws aren't available here in Idaho so I won't be trying it myself, but I'm really curious how it would be.
Ingredients:
  • 3/4 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup oil
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 cup papaw pulp
  • 2 to 3 eggs (2/3 cup)
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine 3/4 teaspoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and set aside.

Combine oil and sugar. Add papaw pulp and then add eggs. Combine and sift together flour, cinnamon, ginger, salt and baking soda and add to the mixture. Add vanilla.

Put mixture into an oiled square pan. Sprinkle sugar - cinnamon mixture on top.

Bake 50 minutes or until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment